Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

Friendship Friday

Friendship is pretty important in life. It's pretty difficult to live in isolation with no friends, no human contact, no connections... it's a cold life. 

Today friendship comes to mind because it's my dear friend Tracy's birthday. I met Tracy when we were about 8 years old. We both were in the Girl Scouts and attended the same school. She lived in my neighborhood and we had lots of the same friends. While we weren't that close growing up, she always had a kind word or a smile. Tracy was hilarious. And when I left home to make my way in the world, she was one of the only people who remembered me when I came back. I remember standing in our local day spa making an appointment or paying my bill and someone said, "Hi, Staci." No one calls me that anymore so it took me a moment, but I looked up to see a familiar face. I was completely shocked she remembered me. Later when I related that story to another friend, she said, "Well, of course she did! Tracy was the unofficial mayor of Sierra Vista.  She knows everyone!" 




If you spent any time with Tracy at all, you could figure out why she was the unofficial mayor. She had something good, something nice, and heartfelt or genuine to say to everyone she spoke to. The waiter taking our order for margaritas, the young woman bringing our Sonic frozen drink order, the old guy at the bar when she ordered her Stella Artois. Everyone was her friend. When she was in hospice care at her dad's house, it was like a reunion. People traveled to see her and talk to her one last time. And the day of her memorial service, the church was packed... no, that church was overflowing. There were people standing, sitting, leaning against walls, smoking in the parking lot, hanging out in their cars... I've never seen that many people at a memorial ever. I've never seen such a diverse crowd. The organizers were her closest friends. They played her favorite music, Queensryche, and told stories about the times they spent with her. I am in tears just remembering that day. I think I ruined my friend Benji's shirt from crying on his shoulder that day. 

Such a loving and heartfelt tribute from all those people she loved. And there were cards and letters, flowers and gifts, plants and phone calls from still countless others who weren't able to make it. Wow. 

To have friends, you need to be a friend. To be a friend means to accept, love, and appreciate someone without judgment, without condition, without fail. That means sometimes loving someone even when they're not really all that loveable. 

I am really fortunate today to have an amazing sisterhood -- a diverse group of women who genuinely care for each other and who would do their best to be in your corner if you needed it. And they love me even when I am a little overbearing, a little ridiculous, when I don't make sense or when I do. I honestly and truly hope that you, dear reader, have equally as many people in your life who love you. I hope, like Tracy, that they encourage you or give you that good swift kick in the pants when you need it. And most of all, I hope they love you even when you're a jerk. 

I'm almost positive that one of Tracy's lessons to me and to her other friends:  Love as much as you can while you can.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment