Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Unplug to reconnect...

Recently a colleague of mine sent an email about "hanging out" with several pictures attached that were sort of funny, but sad all at the same time. Well, wait a moment. It's VERY sad, now that I've reconsidered that statement. Technology is supposed to be used for our convenience, your phone is for YOUR use, not for everyone in the world to reach you when they wish. Of course, if someone has children, they would like to be available for their children, absolutely... that's certainly an exception and that's not what I'm referring to. I mean when you are out to lunch with friends and all you can do is check your phone every 20 seconds to reply "LOL" to a Facebook message, then you may have a problem. 


I have a friend who taught me that the experience of our shared time, our conversation, and excursions together were more important than anything on that phone. Anything. It was a valuable lesson and it made me feel more connected to him. Because of that connection and value we placed on our shared time, I always enjoyed it a great deal more. He listened to me, he heard me, he responded to me. There were no distractions except for whatever was already a part of the experience. So, when we were going to the bookstore, (hey, look at this awesome book!) or the jazz festival at the winery, (hey, we're reading the same book!) or we're in the car heading toward parts unknown, (hey! turn here!). 


I deliberately call it "shared time" because he was not just spending time with me... we were spending time together, focused on the same thing, enjoying an experience, and if he had been so self-important that he couldn't actually participate and be present, then I really would not have wanted to be there.


When kids get together these days and spend all that time on their phones, I wonder how they remember their experience? Did they enjoy their food? Did they ask questions? Did they learn anything? Did they just use it as a "check in" experience where the other kids will see that they went somewhere together?


Whatever their reasons, I will continue to honor those that I care about and choose to spend time with by engaging in the experience fully. I hope you join me in unplugging those relationships and reconnecting with the physical. 

Namaste and have a great weekend! 

Peace, Love, and Low-tech... 

No comments:

Post a Comment